BSC : Sensor ProjectPosted: April 30, 2015
The objective for the current project was to produce a product that has the ability to control sounds using sensors ,an example of a controllable aspect in which you can manipulate sounds is the pitch ,tone and frequency of the tune you have decided to create . These are just a few example on how we can change sounds in order to enhance our daily music .The project itself requires that we use ,at least six different sensors for our final product , the reason for this would be because the use of sensors can explore different tunes and momentum due to the fact that all the sensors can react in different ways. For example an ultra sound sensor emits sound waves which when come into contact of an object will bounce back to the sensor and can record the distance through the computer. This sensor is a perfect example on how you can use sensors as a way to manipulate sounds ,this is because we can interact with the sensor using body language which creates unpredictable consequences .When pursuing the brief for this project I had decide to research as many sensors I can think of inorder to create a wider range of ideas which are not limited to inefficient research . Although I had found that when researching sensors they had very different properties which could be considered as a benefit or a downfall ,an example of this would be the tactile sensors because the form and aesthetics would have to change in order to compensate the need for a smooth service ,so the effect of the sensor can take toll.
Another sensor I had researched was a LDR sensor which detects light and different amounts of light that is exposed on the sensor can change the resistance of certain components creating an ability to adjust different levels of voltage .This sensor caught my due to the fact it was low cost ,came in many different size and was compact and easy to install in mass quantities. Unfortunately the sensors has its disadvantages such as being used in the dark can cause the sensor to be ineffective in different situations .On the other hand Motions sensors (PIR) have been considered very effective and is used in many daily objects such as electric doors and safety monitors. The reason is because the sensors in low cost and it very effective due to its ability to sense warmth and has a nice range .However the sensor can be triggered by any living things and can become a problem when calibrations are need to be done to them .But the final choice I decide was to use the motion sensors due to the fact they were easy to come by and the end result was a very the sensor produced was to an acceptable standard .The main function that the motion sensor will operate is recording movements that the users will do when playing with the product. The way the the product will reply to the users is by changing one of the sounds aspects ,just as the other sensors would be ,the other sensors which we will be using are the LDRs due to the fact the are small and compact able and can adjust its resistance using several different methods allowing the users to become more intrigue by allowing the consumers to explore different methods to use the sensors to create music.
The main aim I had wanted to do was to create a product which was hands free and well as hands on appealing to a wider range of people .The way I started to explore this option with my design idea was by sketching random shapes and trying to identify which areas can be developed to have better sensor exposure and trying to see if the form of the different shapes I was designing could take on a new functionality . However I felt that this would become fair too complex so I wanted to redesign an common instrument that would appeal to the vast audience. This lead me to redesign the piano,to a more condense version with less keys making the product more noticeable and aesthetically pleasing with a more modern design. However I ran into some problems with the size of the product being to small in certain areas and this forced me to rethink my idea by reducing the size of the base and making the form more of an controller than a instrument . This I found to be much better than the original due to the fact that it is mobile and has more of a modern aesthetic appeal to the design .
When starting the manufacturing process I first began to test each sensor individually to ensure that there were no mistakes in the coding and circuit board ,this allowed the production process to run smoothly. Before I began testing I first of all checked which components needed a resistor and at what resistance was needed . This was a critial part of the making process due to the fact if the wrong resistor was not placed to the a random sensor it could fry the sensor or even resistor too much voltage so the sensor would become to weak to be used .The different way I had tested my sensors was firstly with the motion sensor ,which I had to apply a LED to the circuit board in order to identify if the motion sensor would work . This would be done through the coding process where I will put and (IF) point where it will tell the Ardunio to tell the sensor when it detects motion it will turn on ,if not it will turn off. However with the LDR I had to use serial monitor on the Ardunio and delay the points it would sense so we could get and attract reading and identify which points do what .This process was followed on by ensuring the case that I designed was to scale and ensured each components fit. The Finishing touches were just basic sanding and ensuring the code and the components were not damage. In a whole the project was informative in a way where we were forced out of our comfort zones and had to endure independent studies to achieve certain goals .This allowed me to create professionalism in my work needing to go out of my way to research certain components and theories.