Categories

Field 2 : introduction

Persona chairs

Introducing this terms subject through the brief of us needing to produce a fully functioning chair for a specific target which we will have to interview using 20 specially selected questions to identify the aesthetics and function in which the chair will have as a feature .

Before starting any designing process we had to find the ergonomics and anthropometrics of different chairs in order to get a clear idea with the ratio and size we will use. This required us to split up in pairs and find different measurements for different chairs and we’ll as recording the measurements on how both partners interact with the chair .This information is then compared with another group because we can gain the medium of the measurements to gain more of a average size in which our chairs will be .

Average measurements from random chairs:

First chair (stool)

  • Legs – 465mm
  • Depth seat – 377mm
  • Chair height- 785mm
  • How far legs are away from seat – 50mm

Second chair (Sofa)

  • Overall height – 690mm
  • Floor to seat – 115mm
  • Thickness – 275mm
  • Heads board – 350mm
  • Seat depth – 563mm
  • Arm rest – 175mm

Third chair (desk)

  • Leg height – 660mm
  • Seat height – 370mm
  • Overall height – 785mm
  • Feet from floor – 205mm

Note from chair sizes

2015/01/img_0338.jpg

IMG_0338

IMG_0334

IMG_0336

IMG_0335


Field : Term 2 Mood Board

Mood board


Field : Making process

The making process for the project started off in different sections which would all come to a final outcome for the whole project itself, first of all we had the prototyping stage of the making process ensuring that all the mechanics and electrical components all function properly .This lead to a series of failed attempts to the final outcome which had involved different areas of the project ,for example the coding for the project had be re written several times because of miscalculation with the sensitivity of the certain sensors used . The sensors we had ended up using were light sensors based components which required coding that would alter these sensors as switches ,the coding altered these sensors as switches  by changing the light sensitivity too a very low frequency so when the light sensors reacts to the movement of the user the LEDs will respond by increasing or decreasing the voltage in the LEDs to the point where the LEDs turn on and off to certain movements.

Steps to the manufacturing process

Step 1. Testing out different components on the circuit board to try to get an idea of what sensors we would like to use and experimenting different ways of using the sensors to there full potential. This required us to do research on the various areas such as the resistors requirements for the circuit boards and ensuring that all components were placed in the right areas.

IMG_0202

Step 2. Working on the coding for he actual product itself required the circuit board to be functional ,so we decided to start practicing coding with more simple circuits in order to gain more experience in the process to enhance our skills. We had to testing out the separate components using the code by setting up a DATA PRINT IN which in a form of code that sends out signal and records them on to the code .This was a critical process because we had to test out the strength of the sensor and what range it had so we could code in the right measurements for the required function.

IMG_0213

Step 3. Once our code and circuit boards was complete we started on the actual body of the project ,which required a lot of brainstorming due to the fact that we all had different ideas on how we can use body movement on to the actual circuit board itself. We finally came to a conclusion of using the glove design below as the body of the project ,the reason we choose this design is because the hand has lots of mobility in terms of movement and we all felt that this would allow us to show our ideas more efficiently .This was our first trail production ,the problems we realised in this prototype was that certain components would get stuck or get in the way due to the actual placement of the circuit boards sensors.

IMG_0207

Step 4. On this prototype we made some adjustments to the design such as increased the wire length to allow more flexible movement without too much strain on the fingers as well as changed the location of the circuit board to the wrist area to prevent any obstruction of movement to the hand itself .How ever even with these slight adjustments we have found that the Arduino  board used was too large and would interfere with the design and purpose of the glove .So we did some research and found that we could use a different kind of circuit board which was called the lily pad which is a smaller compact version of the Arduino .

2015/01/img_02061.jpg

Step 5. The final prototype was complete and the lily pad had worked wonders with the form of the glove because of the size and begin able to apply the actual components more easily with the skills of the textile members because they were able to use conductive sewing equipment to the project to allow the components to be sewed on .This was a great leap for the production process for our project because the glove itself had become more ergonomically  and aesthetically pleasing because we were able apply more different components to the glove which helped secure certain wires and other sensors in place by simply sewing them on .
2015/01/img_0215.jpg